THIS PAGE IS A WORK IN PROGRESS
In the mid 1950’s a group of Fredericton aviation enthusiasts attended an Aircraft Owners and Pilots Club meeting in Moncton, New Brunswick. The Fredericton group was researching in the possibilities of either joining with Moncton or forming an association or club of their own here in Fredericton.
There was most definitely a strong interest in GA in the Fredericton area and why not take advantage of the sentiment and get things off the ground, so to speak.
The first meeting of those interested in forming an association, held on Sept. 27, 1958, saw in excess of 50 potential members attend and most expressed support for a Fredericton club. It was here that the idea was born to form a flying club. GA was in a growth phase Canadawide and a local flying club seemed only natural.
Meetings were held and much was decided including the club name – after some discussion and finally settling on the Fredericton Flying Club. Maybe this was not an overly imaginative name but it was descriptive and most easily identifiable.
The Fredericton club flew out of the Wilkins Air Strip situated along the banks of the scenic Saint John River and just outside of Fredericton. The club negotiated the use and developed this air strip as their own.